3312 Jackson Blvd Rapid City SD. 57702
(605) 342-0989 - DakSmiles@gmail.com

Quick Links

Patient Registration Forms
View Our Blog

Find us on facebook

Let Us Help

*Request an Appointment
*Ask the Doc
*Request more information
*Subscribe to e-news and blog

Name:

E-Mail:

Phone:

Message:


Directions

3312 Jackson Blvd
Rapid City SD.
57702

Call Today:
(605) 342-0989

Click Here for Directions

logos

Mercury Free | Biological | Holistic Dentistry

Is there a concern about the use of mercury in dentistry?

Is there an associated health risk?

Should I have my mercury fillings removed?

Should I take supplements prior to mercury filling removal?

Is there a proper way to remove mercury fillings?

Biological dentistry recognizes the impact of toxic materials and their relationship to dental and physiological health.   As the consumer becomes more educated and more outspoken, it is becoming common knowledge that “silver” amalgam fillings are 50% mercury and carry the risk of being a potential health hazard

Dr. Kelly Lytle is a  member of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT.org) and has had advanced training in the safe removal of mercury fillings.  Equally important as the safe removal of mercury fillings,  is  having the replacement materials be biocompatible and placed in a manner that restores optimum form and function back into your mouth.  This requires extensive knowledge of modern dental materials, adhesive bonding techniques, and experience in complex, full mouth reconstruction. 

While the question of mercury safety in silver fillings has been debated for over a century, Dr. Kelly chose sides early on and has never looked back.  Her father was a pioneering dentist and in the 1960’s was insightful enough to eliminate mercury fillings not only from her mouth as a child, but from his entire practice as well.  Having never placed an amalgam filling (except for the 7 that she had to do while in dental school in order to pass!) in over twenty years of private practice,  I guess she’d be a specialist in this area, if there were such a thing.  Over 3/4th of all general family dentist still place mercury fillings today. 

So, be a discriminating consumer.  Know what you are implanting in your body, and yes, a dental filling is implanting a foreign material into an area of your body that allows for the most rapid of absorption into the blood stream. Research both sides of the issue.  The American Dental Association (ADA.org) suggests there’s no concern.  The IAOMT.org suggests otherwise.  With permission, the following is directly from their website.

Biofeedback

Chelation

Chelation

Colonics

Compatibility Testing

Composite Restoration

Heavy Metal Detoxification

Heavy Metal Testing

Immune Support

Implants

Inlay Restoration

Onlay Restoration

Root Canal

Safe Removal 

 

Is there a concern about the use of mercury in dentistry?

A large filling may contain as much mercury as a thermometer. Mercury vaporizes easily at room temperature, and in this state, is odorless, colorless and tasteless. Inhaled mercury vapor is readily absorbed into the bloodstream. The World Health Organization has concluded that dental fillings contribute more mercury to a person's body than all other sources of mercury combined. Mercury is a powerful poison. Published research demonstrates that mercury is more toxic than lead, cadmium or arsenic. No amount of exposure to mercury vapor can be considered harmless. Especially considering its cumulative effect.

Is there an associated health risk?

Mercury is the most toxic, non-radioactive element on the earth. Most medical and scientific researchers have called for a ban on the use of mercury in all products. However, the potential harmful effects of mercury fillings have been ignored by the U.S. Government. Due to its poisonous nature, mercury can adversely affect the immune, urinary, cardiac, respiratory and digestive systems. Under laboratory conditions, mercury has produced brain cell deterioration identical to that seen in victims of Alzheimer's disease.

Should I have my mercury fillings removed?

The IAOMT believes you should (unless you are pregnant or lactating). Mercury vapor is continuously emitted from dental fillings and accumulates in the body over time. The damaging effects of this exposure may not manifest for years or even decades. Studies repeatedly demonstrate that even low levels of mercury cause measurable adverse health effects. Mercury in the tissues of a fetus or infant correlates significantly with the number of dental amalgam fillings in the mother. Newborns may be at risk for learning disabilities because of mercury their mother absorbed during pregnancy. Many physicians are testing their patients for mercury toxicity and referring them to biological dentists. Across scientific disciplines, health professionals are realizing that mercury may adversely impact patient health.

Should I take supplements prior to mercury filling removal?

Most biological dentists work in conjunction with physicians, who may prescribe supplements prior to the removal of mercury fillings. It is imperative that chronically ill patients seek advice from a physician knowledgeable in mercury toxicity issues. 

Is there a proper way to remove mercury fillings?

To prevent additional mercury exposure, find a biological dentist properly trained in mercury filling removal. Patients should inquire about the following amalgam removal protocols:

Utilizing an efficient suction system in the oral cavity with a special tip or its equivalent to contain amalgam particles and mercury vapors. Operating a vacuum system at maximum efficiency. Applying copious amounts of water to the filling during removal. Removing the amalgam in large segments to minimize the generation of mercury vapor and amalgam particulate. Providing the patient and dental staff with a mercury-free source of air.